Thursday 21 March 2013

Letter From Che Guevara's mother to a friend



While helping out at open evening I found this book with a load of ideas of stories and things to write.   One of them was to write about Argentina in 1932 involving a tea cup... I sort of managed it apart from its more like 1940 and mentioned tea rather than a tea cup but I tried right?

I feel I should say Ernesto is Che Guevara's real first name Che was a used as a common reference to Argentinians that just sort of stuck when he was older.  

Oh also I have made a blog for my writing and stuff if anyone is interested in reading anything on it, so far it is mostly what I have also put on here.  Anyway here http://josiedoodlesandscribbles.tumblr.com/

I knew he would struggle drinking it but he did insist on drinking tea. His asthma is improving and I think he might be well enough to go back to school in a few days. I have got him reading Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre dame in the oringal French. He loves the book, the idea of such social inequality seems to speak to him. Though I don't like to admit it he has been well looked after by me and my husband and I think the book inspired him to do rather annoying things like giving his clothes away, he always has the best of intentions but it is hard to keep him sometimes under control.

This may sound weird and it's not that all my children aren't brilliant it's just that I suppose I spend more time looking after him and there's a bit of a spark in him.   Maybe it's because he is the oldest, seen more of the world so I see more from him.  I have never seen such keen emphasis on equality from someone so young.

It's been hotter here than its been for a while its probably why he has been off so much. I am considering taking him away from his book to go through some maths with him. Sometimes I think I push him more than he would be if he was at school but it is good for him.

I think some of his friends who work in at the sugar plantation are coming today. I think think I might make something a bit extravagant for them. I wish I felt I could do something to make a difference. I look around and despite being of a Spanish background rather than Indian I still see the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I don't think the divide can continue much longer. I know it is dangerous to speak of such things but I feel we need change.  I don't want my children growing up with so many people with so little. I know they will do well and they don't seem to me the type to get warped by propaganda but they are only children.

Do tell me what it is like in Chilli, I really want to travel but I feel it's a little late to start thinking of such things especially with how we keep jumping around to keep Ernesto's asthma at bay.

I hope your letter comes sooner next time, either you took months to write it or they have been searching through our post. I don't trust the government if I am honest particularly yours and if this is enough for them to come after me so well be it.   

Just herd a knock at the door so I think I better finish the letter.  Hope to hear from you soon

Lots of love,
Celia

0 comments:

Post a Comment