Thursday 7 March 2013

Greg Dawson: Bartender.

My afternoon shift at the bar started at 3. I was on glass collecting duty again and not in the best of moods. I had had yet another row with my girlfriend. We had been shopping in town that morning when she saw the jeweller's shop. In the window was this enourmous engangement ring with many sparkling diamonds. I saw her eyes light up as it caught her eye. She started to hint at it. I simply stated that I couldn't afford something so expensive at the moment with my low wages when she started shouting at me about how I never buy her anything and that I should be a man and get a "real" job. I was so outraged, but I didn't want her to get anymore angry at me so I just said i'd think about it. At 20 with a bartender job, how the hell would I be able to get her an engangement ring?
       I spent all my afternoon wandering around the bar collecting glasses, serving drinks and thinking about my life. Maybe Maddie was right, maybe it was time for me to step up and "be a man".
      The bar was extrememly busy and by 7 o'clock, I was called to help out with serving rooms. I quite enjoyed this part of the job as I got to go in people's rooms and play the game I loved so much where I would try and guess their identities from their belongings. For example, when I entered room 664 I immediately knew the owner was some sort of mistress from the many presents littered around the room, the revealing dresses and the vast amount of high heels of many different colours.
      The next room, number 666 belonged to a Mr Graham. I entered the room and placed the ordered drink on one of the bedside tables. I had a quick scan of the room to see if I could guess what Mr Graham was like, when I saw it. Sitting on the bed, just like the one Maddie had noticed in the shop was a huge diamond ring. I picked it up to have a closer look. It was identical. I was so tempted to just slip it into my pocket, it was my chance to prove myself to Maddie. That's when I heard movement in the corridor. I quickly chucked the ring back on the bed and ran out of the room, passing Consuela the cleaner on my way back down the corridor to the bar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment