Tuesday 12 February 2013

Just a random poem. Got the idea from the details thingy poem.


"What is it?" she asked.
I shrugged and looked down at the floor.
My hair fell down and masked
my face which flushed red.
I stared at the holes in my converse,
seeing if I could spot a bit of sock.
It didn't matter how many times I had had to rehearse,
the conversation which I was about to have,
the heart still beat too hard in my chest
and I still felt as though I was about to faint.
She took hold of my shoulders and tried her best
to get me to give her eye contact.
Instead, I looked past her
at the rest of the teenagers in the canteen.
A group of pretty girls sat messing with their shiny long hair
and several boys were playing a game of cards,
one of which had mastered the skill of being able to bluff.
At another table a girl was smiling up at a boy she fancied
while he tried to impress by acting manly and tough.
The boy's friends tried not to laugh
as he flexed his muscles which did not exist.
The table behind, a crowd of friends sat talking and joking,
whilst making a list
of those to invite to the wild party on Saturday night.
Hidden in the mass of noise and people sat in the room,
a few students were sitting all alone,
thinking about their lessons which couldn't come too soon.
I watched them as they ate their lunch in record time,
regularly throwing glances at the clock which stared down at them from high up on the wall.
It told me that I had been stood in silence for almost a minute.
A minute didn't seem right for all
that I had seen happen around me,
from when I was asked the terrifying question,
to the moment I look back at my friend with compassion
and reply, "You". 

2 comments:

Mary Sharples said...

This is really excellent Mich! I love the detail and the circular structure, how after taking in all the detail of the surroundings it comes back to the simplicity of the answer to the quetsion. Can we submit it for the 'The Details' competition??

Unknown said...

I only just saw this comment, yes I guess so, if it's not too late!

Post a Comment